24 September 2004

On the dark side of the 'net [beheading in Iraq] - September 24, 2004

[Fair Notice - No image, but graphic description of Eugene Armstrong's death in Iraq below.]



I interupt this gardening blog with news from a different reality:

We all live on a very narrow bridge. But the main thing to recall is not to fear at all.
-Rabbi Nachman

I started reading the news that appears on my Blogroll again.
Big mistake.

I found access to the video [link at end of this entry] of Eugene Armstrong's beheading at the hands of Abu Musab
al-Zarqawi's Al-Tawhid Wal-Jihad. I watched it.
Bigger mistake.

To see this man, who is someone's father, brother, son,
cousin, uncle, friend and colleague being killed, struggling to
his last breath is horrifying. [At its worst, he was squealing like
a pig; his final breath sounded as if a horse snorted - once]
Then, to see his head being separated from his body and
placed on top of it is beyond words.
I didn't sleep the rest of the night.

Later, I realized again why I started my gardening projects. It
gives me the opportunity to create beauty and provide
sustenance in a world that is, at times, inhospitable.

May TheOne, Who is everywhere, comfort his family amongst the other mourners of those everywhere who experience the
loss of a loved one.

The day is short, the task is great...It is not incumbent upon
you to finish the task. Yet, you are not free to desist from it.
-Pirkei Avot Ch 2, v20, 21

http://www.homelandsecurityus.com/Hostages.asp

I now return you to my regular blogging about gardening [maybe].