10 July 2004

Farmer's Market & Figaro's Garden - July 10, 2004

Farmer's Market & Figaro's Garden - July 10, 2004

Max Temp. 20.5°C
Min Temp. 12.9°C
Precip. Total 5.2 mm
Overcast/Cloudy/Rain

Met my friend Sharon at the East Vancouver Farmer's Market
http://www.eatlocal.org/and bought some 4 Galic Chive plants
from Bonnie Townsend of Lowland Herb Farm

My plan is to plant them underneath the trees on Ontario St between the
sidewalk and the parking lot. I rode by there later and dug up the soil a
bit. Very sandy. Will plant with compost added to amend soil make it
stronger. The area is also walked on as people go to their cars, so I will
have to mark it off with string, sticks and flagging tape.

After Farmer's Market went to Figaro's Garden and after a look around went
inside. They had a West Coast Seed rack and items were on sale. Buy two get
one free!

So I built up my wildflower collection and bought two Cottage Perrenial
Mixes [FL3447A] and one Butterfly Wildflower Mix [FL3448A]

I also took a look at the vegetable section and may have found the perrenial
green vegetable I have been seeking: Corn Salad [MS478A]
aka Corn Salad = mache = lamb's lettuce = lamb's
tongue = field lettuce = field salad = fetticus. West Coast's description
says that is a self-sower, easy to grow, and winter hardy on the Coast.

In addition, I bought Swiss Chard - Bright Lights [SW753A] and a Lettuce
Blend [LT455B].

Near the trees outside of Figaro's there was a white clover flower head, but
the leaves were brown edged in green. According to Google it is TRIFOLIUM
repens 'Purpurascens'
. I'm trying to locate seed for this plant. The owner of the Figaro's is back on Thursday.

On my way home, a rain deluge started. Underneath a tree, I put on my gear
and was getting wet. It was raining harder in the open. I was dryer but
still getting wet underneath the tree. I suppose I could have waited on a
house porch, but I decided to move on. Seconds later I was soaking wet. By
the time I had travelled the six blocks from Ontario St to Cambie, the worst
of it was over.